Hello folks and thanks for swinging by the @clobbercalm 10@10!
By now I’m guessing most of you know what this blog is about but if this is your first time visiting the @clobbercalm site please kick back, stick around and I’m sure you’ll get the picture soon enough.
This week a fine, championed chief named Cory took the time out to answer the 10 questions we threw at him about his IG Feed. If you are not yet aware of the @corymahlke feed then you should take a look. By mixing the everyday gent’s taste, in tough fashion, with humour and artistic flair he has managed to create a feed that represents us blokes/our lives/the love for our families and the clothes we all enjoy wearing till they are threadbare!
Thanks for taking the time Cory. Enjoy people.
MEET THE MAN BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Cory Mahlke aka @corymahlke
LOCATION: Minneapolis, MN
OCCUPATION: Artist and part time teacher (former chef, bike mechanic, graphic designer and furniture maker)
1. So Why Instagram?
Initially it was a way to find new brands and like minded people. Then, I got caught up learning about these companies and the people behind the designs, ideas, and artwork that I was seeing. Eventually, it was a creative outlet for me and a way to get out some feelings I had about what I was seeing and experiencing on Instagram and in my artwork.
2. Why Denim, Boots, Workwear, Ruggedness?
I have always been a shoe guy, so this was an easy one for me, Denim and workwear came about as a lifelong woodworker and remodeler. Since I was a kid, my dad has always been working on something whether it was the finishing work on our house or a homemade gym in the basement. You just had to have something that could take the abuse day in and out. As far as ruggedness, I am into trail running and ultras, an avid camper, and I am always up for some kind of adventure. So again, you have to have gear that can match your lifestyle.
3. What are your thoughts on the rise in popularity of “Instafashion” and the community it is creating?
I think it is great not only for small businesses, but also it creates great opportunities for small time artists or photographers. I have always been interested in art and imagery. I love old movie posters and larger scale artists. Artists like Wayne Thiebaud for some amazing displays of food and landscapes and Egon Schiele for his figurative works. Then, sometime you just have to find the humor in posts and bloggers on instagram. Sometimes they can get a little too serious.
4. Top 3 brands to shop and why?
1. Oak Street Bootmakers. A company with a great family story and amazing ideas. I still think about the first time I opened a pair of their trench boots and the amazing smell of the Horween leather! It’s mind-blowing! I want one of everything they make (someday 😉 )
2. Grease Point Workwear. They just fit! Some of the best pants I have owned. Amos picks the best fabrics and makes them by himself to order. Definitely haven’t gotten my fill of these and can’t wait to see what is to come from him!
3. Frost River. They make incredible bags in house in Duluth, MN. You can see the cutting and hear the machines going right in shop. I highly recommend a visit! You won’t believe how indestructible these bags are.
5. Where’s your favourite place to shop these brands
Partially online because of location, but I have been to Oak Streets clothing/shoe store, Independence, in Chicago to purchase my first pair of their trench boots (Indigo Hand Dyed). Incredibly friendly, helpful, interesting staff and what a great city to have such an experience. When I get up to Duluth I always take the chance to get out to Frost River. Where else can you come face to face with an 8 foot bear and live to talk about it. Plus the Duluth Grill is not far off. Someday I hope to get out to visit Amos at Grease Point.
6. When did you decide to voice and share your love for your clobber on social media?
I somehow decided that it was worth setting up an account and showing off the new Oak Street Bootmakers Indigo Trench Boot. From there I felt a need to change the way items, I and others loved, could be viewed on social media.
7. What’s the secret behind your great images; Who takes them? When are they taken? How do you capture the magic your followers enjoy so much?
Not sure there is a secret to the images. I sometimes take from the things I love not related to clothing in particular, such as Hitchcock’s movie The Birds, to create a display of my favorite flannels in an all out assault on my current choice of outfit. I take all of my images whenever I can get time. Most of the pictures are spontaneous thoughts about what I have seen on social media or what is happening around me, but sometimes you have to get the planned out shot to get the repost and get your name out there. Most of the images require some kind of stacked up contraption that has either almost killed me or has retired an article of clothing early.
8. What feeds do you like to follow and check in on? Who should we check out?
For inspiration on clothing I like to check out @whaleysworld, @bothrops1, @iickygenes (as an artist and on Independence, Chicago as well), and @inn8chiro. Travel Photos and branding by @1924us. There are a lot of great artists out there as well!
9. What tips would you give new starter on instagram to help them get there feed off the ground and successful?
I wish I could give more, I am just lucky that there is something around like this to provide a creative outlet for me. I was lucky that there was a way to blend my love of art with what I was wearing and people might want to see it.
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) Only with you.
What would they be? And Why?
1. Oak Street Trench Boots because they are indestructible
2. Grease Point Workwear work jeans because double front and built like a tank
3. American Trench socks for the extra flair (you might be found)
4. Freenote Cloth shirts are incredibly made and look great!
Bonus. Since you didn’t say I couldn’t have a bag I would put all of this in the Bushcraft pack by Frost River because the person that finds me dead on that Island will thank me!
Ha! Great call on the bag Cory…you’re the first to notice 😉 Thanks again for taking the time chief.
Anyways cool. Next week the RRL sporting @1lrg and his incredible moustache answers the 10@10 for us so expect to be swamped in American heritage and pounded with a delightful insight into how he approaches his ever popular IG feed on a daily basis!
See you next week folks!