I hope your week’s trotting along well and you all enjoyed your first advent calendar treat!
My chocolate usually gets pinched by a 2/3 year old with a cheeky smile but, hey, I wouldn’t have it any other way! So long as little stocky fingers stays away from my Raws’ that is 😉
Anyways, this week’s ‘Man Behind The Menswear’ is Jens aka @sel.vage, Jens is one of our 5 guys from next year’s ‘Project Threads and Fades’ experiment. He will represent Europe in the challenge to wear a pair of Slim Kojima’s from the @shockoe_atelier guys for a whole year whilst frequently firing me updates so we all can watch their life unfold day by day – week by week – month By month.
Jens is big on Denim/Boots and quality so he’s a perfect fit for the 10@10 and above all that he helps people for a living in his day job which, for me, is always top of the list when it comes to commendable attributes.
MEET THE MAN BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Jens aka @sel.vage
LOCATION: Mainz, Germany
OCCUPATION: Specialist nurse for Anaesthesia and Intensive Care
1. So Why Instagram?
Instagram gives me the opportunity to be fan/follower but also the creator of my own feed at the same time. For me it’s just fun. One thing that I like the most on Instagram, is that the focus is on the picture and there is nothing better than a nice picture to tell a story. They convey so much more than words could do. The combination of those two aspects make Instagram so interesting.
2. Why Denim, Boots, Workwear, Ruggedness?
It’s a clean, simple look and I feel very comfortable in it. Denim is more than a cotton fabric, I noticed this many years ago when I bought my first raw. With each single wear the denim moulds to your body and gets better and better. With the breaking in you can create your own wash that is unique to you and tells something about your life. That’s one of the greatest things about raw denim. I find it also very fascinating how much work and effort all those small companies and manufacturies put in their garnments. You can tell, that they love what they do. Also I like the idea to hand some of the things over to my children one day.
3. What are your thoughts on the rise in popularity of “Instafashion” and the community it is creating?
It’s so nice to be part of this community. The Instagram community is a very diverse group of people from all over the world. Even if I’m not a English native speaker and my English isn’t that great, I really enjoy to communicate with all of them. I was totally surprised how kind and helpful most of the people are if you have any questions. You can find inspiration and explore more and more great little brands with fantastic products.
4. Top 3 brands to shop and why?
1. Merz b. Schwanen – they got me from the first day I saw a documentation about the brand. They have a great philosophy, materials, quality and an amazing fit. I love the clean look of their products and it’s nice to see that they produce everything in Germany.
2. Red Wing Shoes – After a long time I decided to splurge on my first pair of Red Wing (9111 Round Toe). I never regret my decision.
3. 3sixteen – they use high quality materials and they also have a clean look and a nice fit.
5. Where’s your favourite place to shop these brands?
1. STUF|F fine goods – it’s such a wonderful store with two very nice, kind and helpful guys who absolutely love what they are doing. In every corner you can find fine goods that you’d wish to add to your collection. Like I said once under one of my pictures on Instagram: this store is my Denim Disneyland.
2. Every now and then I have to do some online shopping, because some pieces are hard to find in Germany. My favorite online store is cultizm.com, great selection and a very good Customer Service.
6. When did you decide to voice and share your love for your clobber on social media?
I was on a trip to Berlin with my good friend @raw.denim when he finally convinced me to start my own Instagram feed. I was very sceptical at the beginning but he kept telling me how much fun it would be – and he was actually right. He helped me in the beginning with the set up of my account, introduced me to the world of hashtags and took some of my first pictures. I enjoyed it from the very first day and so I still do! Thank you my friend!
7. What’s the secret behind your great images; Who takes them? When are they taken? How do you capture the magic your followers enjoy so much?
That’s a tough one! To be honest, I really don’t know. I’m overwhelmed by the feedback that I receive and I never expected that. What you see on my pictures are just my real day-to-day outfits. Sometimes I have the pleasure to work with a friend of mine. She is a photographer and has a great sense for details! If you want to see more of her pictures you can check her page on Facebook “Fotografie Annegret Arnold”.
8. What feeds do you like to follow and check in on? Who should we check out?
It’s hard to say, because there are so many good feeds out there, for example @marvaments, @cuffington, @raw.denim, @selvedge1, @whaleysworld. They all have a great selection of very nice pieces and post awesome pictures. You definitely should check out @hansjellema, @bvo_66, @illbash and there are plenty more…
9. What tips would you give new starters on Instagram to help them get there feed off the ground and successful?
Do it for the fun and not for the likes and be yourself!
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) Only with you.
What would they be? And Why?
1. Boots – Red Wing 9111 Round Toe – First pair of quality boots because they never let me down!
2. Denim – Shockoe Atelier – great texture, awesome fit and my favorite at the moment.
3. Tee – Merz b. Schwanen – you need a good basic tee.
4. Jacket – 3sixteen Type 3s Double Black Selvage – because jackets are one of my favorite pieces of clothing and they can keep me warm in the night.
Awesome Jens mate. The 3sixteen jacket keeping you warm and cool at the same time 😉 Really looking forward to working with you next year on ‘Project Threads and Fades’ and seeing how those “great texture, awesome fit” Shockoes’ wear over 2017. I’ll be in touch…
Next Monday we delve back into the craftsmanship of leather goods HEAVY as we welcome @hollowsleather into the 10@10 hot-seat*. For Nicholas “the pursuit of craft is a battle of ideas” so be sure to tune in folks, it’s going to be an insightful read.
*With the weekly double up imagine the sweet patina that the hot-seat would be showing off now if it wasn’t imaginary veg tan and was, in fact, the real thing?! Ooft haha
Have a cracking weekend people and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the feed in the footer. I dare ya.
See you all Monday.