Well I’ve been a busy boy this past 2 weeks! why?.. Well that bit I will be able to delve into more detail very shortly because tonight is not about me! It’s about Benardo Christian of Kaiga Jeans.
Taking inspo from the best brands in Japan, Benardo and his small team have created a product that fades for days!
Now I really don’t need to quack on much longer as I’ve just scanned this feature again for the 3rd time and it’s such a good read so I’m going to hand over sharpish…
MEET THE BRAND BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Benardo Christian
BRAND: KAIGA Jeans & Co.
ESTABLISHED: June 2014
LOCATION: Jakarta, Indonesia
SIZE OF TEAM: —
SPECIALITY/COMPANY FOCUS: Denim & Men Apparel
1. Straight forward, please tell us, how did your company KAIGA Jeans & Co. start out? (For people that don’t already know)
It started in June 2014 by my friends Albert Primo and his colleague Edward Tanzil (former co. founder). Back then Japanese denim in Indonesia was so hype. It would be such a great opportunity to started out a jeans company with the background of Japanese culture, heritage, and also imported denim fabrics from Japan. That’s when KAIGA’s established, the slogan of the company was to “Create Your Own Art.” Which means, every jeans got their own unique fades and you could make your own art just by using it daily.
Later on 2016, I (Benardo Christian) joined KAIGA and we change KAIGA’s slogan into “Spirit of The Far East.” Due to the change of market trend and our new plan to expanding our product line. We believe the key of existence, surviving, or even winning the competitive market of this industry is the ability to change into something better.
“Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” – Bruce Lee
2. Tell us. What does a day in the life of yourself look like? What’s your daily work routine?
I go to campus with my motorcycle daily to pursue my bachelor degree in economics. *I’m not a good student haha* going to the gym after all of the class is done in a day and taking care of KAIGA’s customer order as soon as I’m done with the gym. Sometimes during the evening I had a phone call with Albert talking about the future plan of KAIGA or creative idea to pour into the next product we’re going to create. Since Albert live in Cologne, Germany until this September 2017 we don’t really meet each other to held a meeting. That’s why we had a phone call instead.
3. What are your top 3 bestselling items? And why do you think this is?
- Fujisan Jeans batch II
- KAMIKAZE WWII Bomber Jacket
- Fujin & Raijin Souvenir (Sukajan) Jacket
It’s because we fulfil current Indonesian clothing / fashion market needs and wants of durable clothing product that stands the test of time yet, affordable and had a unique design / identity. (IMHO)
4. What’s your personal favourite garment when it comes to the items you manufacture?
It’s the jeans, cause that’s KAIGA’s speciality. Attention to the very small detail, using only the best material we could get / Imported, and we give a very unique identity / character of our brand in every jeans we made. You could find it on every pocket lining in every jeans we made. (My favourite: Tsukuyomi; slim straight; 20Oz; mills: COLLECT Co. Ltd Of Kojima)
5. What are your thoughts on the rise of Instagram fashion and the chaps that post their clothing on there to help spread the word of their fave brands?
I think it’s a form of appreciation towards the brands. They take a picture of themselves wearing their favourite outfit from the brands they love. Especially in our industry, It’s not to flaunt nor showing off the amount of the money they’ve spend to purchase the outfit or their personal wealth. It’s more to raising the awareness among their followers that the product they purchase suit them well and they love it so much.
6. Has it made an impact on your business at all, do you think?
It does. It gives us an inspiration to create a mor. And it always been a great brand exposure. Cause you get an honest review from the people that really likes your brand and product.
7. Is there any feeds on IG that you particularly like to check-in on regular. What brands are you fond of on there? What menswear feeds to you like to peruse?
- @swissjeansfreak / I love the spirit that Mr. Ruedi had and he’s a true denim heads.
- @denhamthejeanmaker / they made a great jeans that suit men and women, I love the versatility and their technique on manufacturing.
- @samuraijeans / this brand is the very first brand that got me into the denim world and honestly, our role model in developing a great jeans.
8. A quick one about you. Other than the business, what passions do you have in life? What flicks your switch and helps you relax?
I got a passion in food and alcohol beverages. A lovely evening spend sitting at the beach bar / roof top bar to enjoy the breeze while indulge a glass of fine whiskey, it’s my ultimate way to wind down. I always had a dream to create my own restaurant or bar, too bad I’m not a good chef haha!
9. What do you consider to be the best thing about your business and why?
I think it’s the customer. They’re the reason why we’re still here exist and creating stuff. They gave us the critics and appreciation that truly accurate. Most of the KAIGA’s customers share the same passion like we had, Japanese heritage, culture, and obviously denim. And last but not least, they love to hear every story and concept that we put into every product. That’s what the best thing about this business.
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) only with you. And 1 choice of drink.
What would they be? And Why?
I really like this question and I’ll try to be realistic here. I’ve read some other brands answer to this question and they’re pretty much the same. One thing that I think about, it’s an island there are sea surrounding you in every corner which mean you really need to go all the way into Bear Grylls Man vs Wild mode. It’s not practical to do it with a heavy weight jeans, jacket, and a heavy boots (IMHO). This is my list of outfit:
Shirt: I’ll use an organic cotton t-shirt to keep my body cool during the day while I’m chopping down trees to make a boat to get the hell out of the island.
Jacket: North Face jacket, whatever the type it is as long as it’s waterproof. I’ll use it to save any goods that’s vulnerable to water (match, cigarette, etc) If there’s a rain it will be functioning as a rain water reservoir too.
Pants: A sweat pants or running pants. Cause you need to travel light and you’ll need to perform a highly flexible movement.
Shoes: I hate to say it cause I don’t like this shoes, but I think I’m gonna need Adidas Ultra Boost. Since it’s comfy and light weight.
Drink: WATER, hell lot of water. In case there’s no rain at all you wouldn’t drink the sea water.
Benardo, it’s been a pleasure mate. Pretty sure you’re the first to take a North Face Jacket over to the island but of course it makes perfect sense! Peeps are going to be after them waterproof pockets bro! 😉
Hopefully we wil speak again soon Benardo? I’m sure we will.
Right, this week’s another busy’n and I’m losing Callum to Sin City for a week so I gotta shoot for now but I’ll be back to chat more, shortly…
Calendar below guys 👇
Have a tip-top week. Much love! Stay close.