Howdy guys & gals
Selvedge & Wings. Wings & Selvedge. A perfect Thursday combination.
A perfect @clobbercalm combination.
So, as you can imagine, as soon as I saw Shawn aka @selvedgewings on IG I instantly clicked “follow” and within months we were chatting through the 10@10.
Shawn has that thing where all the shizzle he dons looks like it fits as good as it possibly could. From head-to-toe Shawn’s attire is top notch and it was great getting to know him a little bit more for the 10@10…
No messing around this evening dudes as we have a super slice of denim pie to serve up so, sit back, relax, crack open a bevvie (mine’s a Stella) and enjoy the thoughts of Shaun as @selvedgewings answers the @clobbercalm 10@10.
MEET THE MAN BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Shawn Dederick aka @selvedgewings
LOCATION: Hudson Valley, NY, USA
OCCUPATION: Delivery Truck Driver
1. So Why Instagram?
Photos say a million words, and you can get a better idea how something fits and ages with a great shot. Plus is right there on my phone that’s always with me, and has a world wide community with in reach. People can voice their thoughts and a lot quicker than the message boards we all used to read.
2. Why Denim, Boots, Workwear, Ruggedness?
I’m a blue collar guy, so naturally hard wearing and rugged looks are a given. As I got tired of ill fitting clothes and cheap crap, the world of raw denim and work wear attracted me like a moth to a flame, and I can’t get away. Plus I love seeing how things patina with wear, seeing the results is an endorphin rush as you see the hard work pay off.
3. What are your thoughts on the rise in popularity of “Instafashion” and the community it is creating?
When it’s promoting quality over quantity I’m all about it, show support for small businesses and craftsmen who do this as their living, reject the major corporations that only care about your money not your happiness. Buy domestic or ethically and help destroy fast fashion. Again quality over quantity, buy less buy better. Plus helping people that don’t look like models find the right fit for them is so important cuz we all don’t look like Abercrombie models.
4. Top 3 brands to shop and why?
1. 3sixteen – they continually put out a solid line up of great fitting and great quality garments that rival some of the Japanese brands while being made in the US. Plus their design esthetic is on par with my style, or any other style you can think of. Plus after meeting Andrew and the NY crew I hold a ton of respect for them. Great dudes that totally appreciate their customers.
2. Red Wing Heritage – Boots that have a history on the worksites of America, but look as good off the job as on, what else can you want. I’ve put some boots through their paces at work and they hold up while looking better and better. Anything that ages and looks better than the day you got them is a winner with me.
3. Rogue Territory – A brand I learned about on Instagram, their style is truely Americana and I can’t hide my love for that, great design and fit, made in the US another winner.
5. Where’s your favourite place to shop these brands?
Self Edge NY – they carry the top denim brands and they’re super friendly and helpful, always worth a stop and the time to hang out chatting denim among other things.
For boots, I tend to bounce around from local shops to find what I like. But I love to visit other shops when I’m near, so I usually pick up a piece here and there. Then there’s always the old go to – the internets, and I’m a bit of a bargain hunter so I grab an opportunity when I see one.
6. When did you decide to voice and share your love for your threads on social media?
It’s been a good 2 and a half years now and as soon as I discovered a community I wanted to be a part. I learned about fits and where to find the boots and denim I was looking for, my collection grew and I posted more and the cycle continued.
7. What’s the secret behind your great images; Who takes them? When are they taken? How do you capture the magic your followers enjoy so much?
I almost always take the shots myself, my camera, a tripod and the wifi shutter on my phone, edit and post. I live in a beautiful area that has a wide range great vistas I take full advantage of. My goal is to include nature in most my shots and have my fits in natural locations. Plus natural light always makes things so much better. A rugged background always pushes the point these pieces are sturdy and are made to wear in any condition.
8. What feeds do you like to follow and check in on? Who should we check out?
@newenglandmenswear – John has a great sense of style that ranges from denim to professional attire and brings it all together flawlessly.
@selvedge1 – Victor is the strongest believer that this is a community and makes a point to bring people together in his travels.
@bvo_66 – Bert is always pushing the envelope with creativity and is a serious fade guru he’s a constant influence and always love his stuff.
9. What tips would you give new starters on Instagram to help them get there feed off the ground and successful?
Communication is important, comment and ask questions, it’s a community most of us want to help get the information out there. Work on quality images, natural light helps and find a style that works for you and your fits. Consistent posting is important as well.
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island, you can take 1 outfit (4 items) and 1 drink ONLY with you.
What would they be? Who made them? Why are you taking them?
Well it would be something I wear often:
1. my 3sixteen + 40bsp jeans, my current project and super comfy, roomy but a great fit, they’re airy but a heavyweight so they’ll last till I’m rescued.
2. a pair of my Red Wing Iron Rangers, comfy fit and good for any terrain.
3. the frog skin camo overshirt from 3sixteen, can’t stop wearing this thing looks great with anything and not a bad layering piece.
4. a Knickerbocker Mfg watch cap, I love’em that’s why.
And for a drink, as bad as it is for me I’m addicted – Mountain Dew, I love a good soda and that’s my vice. I don’t drink alcohol so I gotta indulge somewhere.
Shawn, it’s been a privilege doing business brother! Keep up the top work. With such great imagery you’re doing the industry proud! It’s top stuff boss!
Anyways, the little calendar we usually pump out doesn’t really cut the mustard anymore, we need to rethink how we communicate our schedule. “Cal/Nico, it’s time for another beer and business meeting” (any excuse eh?!)
Enjoy your Friday dudes. Speak super soon! Stay close people, much love.