I'm not going to mention the UK weather tonight so instead I'll bring up the fact that I'm off on holiday next week to Portugal and it's meant to be 50 degrees 🌅😬
50 degrees?! Absolutely crazy but back to reality aka tonight's man '...Behind The Menswear'. Tonight we're going back-to-back with another Brit in the hot-seat, like London buses aha, as Edd aka @eddenim answers the 10.
A likeminded denim & boot enthusiast, who's more into the community than collecting likes and who bribes his wife into taking some of his shots aka exactly the type of guy we had in mind when we set up this humble blog...
MEET THE MAN BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Edd aka @eddenim
LOCATION: Devon, UK
OCCUPATION: Air quality/Occupational hygiene
1. So Why Instagram?
That’s an easy question. For me it’s the only social media platform that works on the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle. You take a picture, you post it, you engage with people who like said picture. The lines may have become a little bit blurred over the years (video etc) but generally this still holds true. It’s also a way for me to keep tabs on all my interests quickly with no drama.
2. Why Denim, Boots, Workwear, Ruggedness?
Two reasons, the first – Growing up I never found a pair of jeans let alone trousers that really fit me, like they were mine. I can remember in my teens walking into a shop and finding a few pairs of Edwins – they were way out of my budget back then but the name and the quality stayed with me. Fast forward a few years and I decided enough was enough I needed to find a pair of jean that fitted well, I remembered the Edwin jeans after some googling and before I knew it I had my first pair of raw denim. The second – quality, it’s always been important to me. I have never been comfortable with mass-made clothes and dislike the whole “one season wear” thing.
3. What are your thoughts on the rise in popularity of “Instafashion” and the community it is creating?
I dislike the normal sense of “instafashion”, just check the hashtag and it full of poor souls pretending they live a life of luxury with big cars, designer clothes and gym physiques. On the other hand is the denim community, a bunch of kind hearted folk from every walk of life willing to share a passion for denim, boots and anything that’s well made or rugged. Long may that continue!
4. Top 3 brands to shop and why?
Ok so in no particular order – Iron Heart, 3sixteen, Pure Blue Japan.
- Iron Heart – Rugged, well made gear that fits just right and is designed to last. I have two of their UHF’s and can never imagine them wearing out.
- 3Sixteen – Well designed clothing that merges rugged gear with street style and heritage classics. I have shirts, t-shirts, jeans and jackets and all have fitted well even on my frame. Also a great company ethos!
- Pure Blue Japan – PBJ was my first pair of unsanforized denim, the texture and fit was out of this world. Their new 019 fit for me is perfect as it bridges a roomer fit with a good taper.
5. Where’s your favorite place to shop these brands?
Living in the countryside I have no access to local menswear shops, so it’s online or when I visit cites like London. First port of call for me in London is Rivet and Hide, a majority of my clothes have been bought from here as they give great advice and are always welcoming. After this It’s a selection of well-known haunts either online or when traveling such as Son of a Stag, Clobber-Calm, Cultizm and Stuff-f.
6. When did you decide to voice and share your love for your threads on social media?
Back in 2014 I started to post a few pictures after being inspired by the community. I’m not someone who particularly likes to see pictures of themselves, much prefer being on the other side of the lens but the support and comments after a few denim fade pics inspired me to continue.
7. What’s the secret behind your great images; Who takes them? When are they taken? How do you capture the magic your followers enjoy so much?
I try to post what captures me at one moment. I would love to be a bit more focused and have a curated feed, kudos to those that do! I will either have an idea and set up camera or just a fleeting shot from my phone. Occasionally I can bribe the wife into taking a few shots.
8. What feeds do you like to follow and check in on? Who should we check out?
I love to see how others are wearing different outfits and even pulling off stuff I don’t think I could. Chaps who are hitting it out of the park for me at the moment with timeless outfits are – @illcutz, @calgeary, @migigp, @selvedgewing, @chapagunnar, @fort_box_, @michael.ow.en and @redheadbluebottom but there are so many others!
9. What tips would you give new starters on Instagram to help them get their feed off the ground, and successful?
Be creative, shoot what you like and forget about the like count.
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) Only and 1 x drink with you. What would they be? Who made them? And Why?
I’m going to presume I’m wearing something while on board a ship so have the most basic of basics on already before being stranded. So before being shipwrecked I would grab –
For the cooler nights – a Merz b. Schwanen sweatshirt – simply the most comfy sweat I’ve owned.
For denim – PBJ 019PBE – it’s going to be hot during the day and cool at night so the 17.5oz slub will be breathable and sturdy as well as giving freedom of movement from the cut.
Weather protection – A Fjallraven jacket G1000 Greenland to protect from the elements and biting things. Also lots of pockets for things while out foraging.
Feet – has to be boots to hike the landscape and my trusty Redwing 875 Moc Toes would fit the bill for me.
Drink – I would say a beer but I'm running out of space in my arms – going to have to be a bottle of Ardbeg Islay whisky. Helps to light fires, take the taste of dodgy fish away and treat wounds.
Such a good read Edd, mate. I love the amount of thought you've put into your desert island clobber although I'm not sure how I feel about a single malt being used as lighter fuel 😳 Ha! Thanks for taking the time out brah.
If anybody reading fancies taking a shot at the 10@10 then just fire me over an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. AND that's me out, take it easy guys and have a great weekend ✌️
Peace and love