Me and Ben are both sorting those last minute housekeeping jobs ready for a VERY early flight tomorrow to join the denim fam in Berlin. I hate the rigmarole of mundane form filling BUT it’ll all be worth it when we’re tucking into a Full English waiting to hop on the jet-plane, although we definitely know when we will be back again…Thursday ha!
In between typing my name and date-of-birth approx. 1267 times I’ve found time to introduce tonight’s ‘…Brand…’ and that’s way more befitting of how I want to spend my evening.
Hope you all have the time in YOUR schedules to give this feature a read? It’s an interesting one as Yuta from @freerage_usa takes to the hot-seat. It’s a bit different this one so we’re not going to talk too much, we’ll pass you over to Yuta to immerse yourselves in all things ‘free rage’.
NAME: Yuta Matsumoto
BRAND NAME: free rage
POSITION: free rage MD / Artist
LOCATION: Kyoto, Japan
SIZE OF TEAM: 8 People
SPECIALITY/COMPANY FOCUS: We focus on creating fun and creative products that showcase our premier craftsmanship to the world.
1. Straight forward, please tell us, how did your company free rage start out? (For people that don’t already know)
Using our experience from our factory, Atelier Cosmos, we started free rage in order to showcase our craftsmanship and feature the work of skillful craftsmen in Kyoto.
We started the free rage USA project in order to expand our horizons and challenge ourselves to bring our “Kyoto Spirit” to the US Market.
2. Tell us. What does a day in the life of yourself look like? What’s your daily work routine?
A typical day will consist of preparing new products for our collections in Osaka and Tokyo, as we have one for both Spring-Summer and Fall-Winter. This includes production of samples and thinking of new products for the collections.
I enjoy going to surfing or having lunch by the ocean with friends. This helps me reset my thoughts and refresh my mind-set for the next work day!
3. What are your top 3 bestselling items? And why do you think this is?
1). “Life” Hand Painted Soft Cotton Tee
2). “Aloha” Recycle Cotton Tee
3). “Day Off” Bamboo iPhone Case
These products use very advanced processing techniques, and showcase a relatable life-cycle. I believe this is why these products were a hit.
4. What’s your personal favourite garment when it comes to the items you manufacture?
“Life” Hand Painted Soft Cotton Tee ~ 2015
5. What are your thoughts on the rise of Instagram fashion and the chaps that post their clothing on there to help spread the word of their fave brands?
I believe Instagram has become a strong tool to expand your business and creating new possibilities. There is a lot of information available and I enjoy looking through and finding products I like.
6. Has it made an impact on your business at all, do you think?
Instagram has helped us with researching current trends. Instagram has helped us create new business opportunities and collaborations for projects.
7. Is there any feeds on IG that you particularly like to check-in on regular. What brands are you fond of on there? What menswear feeds do you like to peruse?
I do not have a certain page or feeds I follow, I enjoy looking at many various genres.
8. A quick one about you. Other than the business, what passions do you have in life? What flicks your switch and helps you relax?
I enjoy using my day offs to move my body, especially Soccer and Surfing. Outside of that I love spending time with my family.
9. What do you consider to be the best thing about your business and why?
Illustrating, I enjoy being able to express myself through art.
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) only with you. And 1 choice of drink.
Shirt: Free rage denim gun patch shirt. This is a versatile shirt that is perfect for the outdoors.
Pants: Free rage Jazz Nep Pants. These are a very comfortable pair of pants that will give me great mobility.
T-Shirt: Free rage Recycle Cotton Tee. I wear this T-shirt every day, so this is a no brainer.
Shoes: A pair of hand illustrated Vans. I can add more illustrations when I am bored!
Drink: My Tea from home. This drink helps me relax and I drink it everyday!
There you go. What did I tell you? A “bit different” but fantastic stuff all the same, right? Thanks a lot Yuta, really appreciate your time and love the creativity shown here brother! Top stuff
Right, back to those forms and I should really go to bed at some point…0300 start tomorrow That selvedge adrenaline, I’m sure, will see me and Benji through. Bring on Berlin!
Stay close, much love.