It’s Thursday, it's still scorchio and probably the last thing you'd probably want to wear is 32oz denim...everyone except one man, that is!
Garrett, based in Vancouver and Honk Kong, wears 32oz denim any location, any weather and he's built quite the IG feed that focuses on his love of the heavy stuff 💪 Some of the wears, guys, some of those wears...mega!
MEET THE MAN BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Garrett Riffal aka @wizardof32oz
LOCATION: Vancouver and Hong Kong
OCCUPATION: Professional Photographer
1. So Why Instagram?
Originally I disliked Instagram for its horrible filters that poorly copied the looks of cameras like the Holga 120s. Later after Instagram improved it’s image I joined. However, I still don’t really trust Instagram due it being owned by Facebook.
2. Why Denim, Boots, Workwear, Ruggedness?
Most clothes look worse if you wear them hard or get them dirty. I hate having to worry about ruining my clothes or getting my shoes dirty. Work wear is the opposite and looks better after it gets older and worn in. I guess I just like things that patina.
3. What are your thoughts on the rise in popularity of “Instafashion” and the community it is creating?
I think overall it is good as it allows people to find smaller higher quality brands instead of continuing to just shop at malls and chain stores. However, I could also see it increasing the speed and prevalence of the fast fashion industry.
4. Top 3 brands to shop and why?
- Naked and Famous Denim because of their 32oz.
- Iron heart, because they make a wide selection of quality heavy weight goods.
- White’s boots because they are absolutely solid.
5. Where’s your favorite place to shop these brands?
Ultrasound boots in Hong Kong for white’s and online for everything else.
6. When did you decide to voice and share your love for your threads on social media?
When I first received the 32oz jeans I thought it would be funny if I made an account just about one pair of jeans and just took the same photo over and over again.
7. What’s the secret behind your great images; Who takes them? When are they taken? How do you capture the magic your followers enjoy so much?
Day time hopefully with the sun out. How do you capture the magic your followers enjoy so much? I try shoot them with interesting back grounds when I’m out and about. I usually use my iPhone but on occasion use the Nikon with 85mm 1.4. Often I will try to hold other garments or items of interest in my hands to vary things. I think most people are interested in reading the descriptions and getting the updates.
8. What feeds do you like to follow and check in on? Who should we check out?
9. What tips would you give new starters on Instagram to help them get their feed off the ground, and successful?
I would recommend you find a niche that you’re passionate about and just follow that. Post often and post original content.
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) Only and 1 x drink with you. What would they be? Who made them? And Why?
I would take the Naked and Famous Denim 32oz Weird Guy, Amory Jeans 32oz type I jacket, A white tee, White’s boots bounty hunters and an ice water because it would be important to wear the world’s heaviest denim tux to the grave.
Amazing Garrett, those fades are legit! I respect the desert island outfit man, that's dedication right there...
If anybody reading fancies taking a shot at the 10@10 then just fire me over an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. AND that's me out, take it easy guys and have a great weekend ✌️
Peace and love